Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Today by Thomas Carlyle


So here hath been dawning
Another blue Day:
Think wilt thou let it
Slip useless away.

Out of Eternity
This new Day is born;
Into Eternity,
At night, will return.

Behold it aforetime
No eye ever did:
So soon it forever
From all eyes is hid.

Here hath been dawning
Another blue Day:
Think wilt thou let it
Slip useless away.    

I found this poem by looking to see if William Allingham had written another poem I liked, besides The Faeries. Then I thought maybe he had some friends or influences, and that that'd be interesting in itself. I found Thomas Carlyle, and while it wasn't the forresty poem I was looking for, I liked him and his work immediately -- it doesn't hurt that he coined the term "the dismal science" for economics.

So there you have the poem of the day - let's hope you enjoyed it, and that your day has a blue sky, and slips away meaningfully. :)

A.J.






                 

No comments:

Post a Comment