Monday, April 27, 2015

It's been a while


WW1 ambulance "staff" Picture taken by P. Sirvid
It's been a while
since we remembered,
the shattered streets
and shattered lives
a world away from
our quiet suburban lives

Lest we forget
we're living on a world
that never stops shaking,
let us take time to celebrate 
the men and women
on the front lines
willing to give up
a piece of their lives
to help others





WW1 ambulance Picture taken by P. Sirvid
It's been a bit of a roller coaster of a week, ANZAC celebrations...cough...I mean commemorations always leave me a little sixes and sevens, it's important for us to remember the loss and sacrifice of a generation of young men, but sometimes it doesn't feel...right. Quick - nobody smile - I'm the joy police! Maybe I want to hear about how the CO's stood by their principles even to the death, and how most soldiers respected that stance, far more than the public at home. Yes, there is a time to fight, I'm sure, but you don't need to fight to be a hero.

Some of ours are off in Nepal right now...
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/new-zealand-search-and-rescue-team-hit-ground-running-in-nepal-6301819

To donate: The New Zealand Red Cross is probably as good a charity as any, if you have other suggestions please leave a comment. https://www.redcross.org.nz/donate/nepal-earthquake-appeal/

Overseas: http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-04-25/how-help-nepal-7-vetted-charities-doing-relief-work-following-earthquake

Best wishes for the week,

A.J.

(P.S. I normally post late on a Tuesday, but because the magnitude of this tragedy is so great, and I decided to post early in the hope of encouraging people to donate.)





2 comments:

  1. Good on you, Alicia, for putting out the call. I'll be giving, probably through UNICEF. I had some reservations over the way Red Cross appeared to 'sit' on a lot of donated money during the Christchurch earthquake and the need is a whole lot greater in Nepal. My heart goes out to everyone there. Easy to say, I know, but after 2010-11 here I have at least an inkling of what they're going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by and commenting - and good choice Helen, Unicef has a very good rating on charitynavigator.org - I knew the American Red Cross had issues, but NZ seemed to be better, and the donation went to specific items. I feel really terrible for all those people, as you know they're in it for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete