Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tuesday Poem, Mary's booklaunch and Sir Julius Vogel Update!

What a whirlwind this week has been with Wellington Writers Week and two of my works reaching the Sir Julius Vogel Awards shortlist, Ahi Ka written with the talented Eileen Mueller on my website and Northwrite and our Twisty Christmas Tales ebook is on Smashwords and Amazon.

The highlight for me was Mary McCallum's book launch of the gorgeous Dappled Annie and the Tigrish on Sunday.  What a fantastic turnout to celebrate Gecko book authors and Mary in particular.  Teamed up with the whimsical and magical Annie Hayward, Mary and of course the publishers have produced something so beautifully nostalgic I'm sure it's going to be a favourite in many households.

The following is an extract is from page 57, just after Annie discovers a little honey, and explores the importance of loyalty,  
 
At that moment, one of the fingers of sunlight that had been making its way across the lawn through the gap in the hedge slid across the fingers of one of Annie's hands.  It was the one with the honey thumb.

"Loyalty royalty then," said Annie loudly, and then again: "Loyalty." And she bowed toward the tigrish as if he were a king and she a visiting princess, and she closed her hand on the sunlight to keep it in case she needed it later. This was something her father had taught her to do. Being a lighthouse keeper he had a lot to say about light.

Annie noticed the fur of the tigrish was shimmering now, blue and gold like the hottest part of a fire.

"I'm ready," she said.

For what? you might wonder. I'm not sure yet.  I guess I'll have to keep on reading :)

Lovely stuff, with just a touch of poetry
For more poetry, and some of the posts this week are outstanding, why not check out the Tuesday Poem Hub at the tuesday poem blog

A.J. Ponder


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations two-fold, Alicia! Three-fold, actually, after your NorthWrite win. And what a lovely excerpt from Mary's new book. Thanks for sharing -- I can't wait to read this with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Michelle, I hope you enjoy the book too :)

      Delete
  2. I second the above and thanks also for the excerpt from Mary's book. I love it tht she closed her hand on the sunlight in case she needed it later :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, and glad you enjoyed it, Mary does play with some beautiful imagery. :)

      Delete
  3. Alicia - I've just discovered this post! it's lovely - thank you - so nice you came to the launch - it seems a while ago now :)

    ReplyDelete