Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tuesday Poem: Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails



(I believe, and hope this is the official version. It seemed to have the correct copyright on the video at the end - if the video above doesn't work try the YouTube link:  here  )

Yes, this version of "Hurt" is a slightly different version to the original by Nine Inch Nails,with a twist away from the drug references, shunting the song a fraction away from a haunting tale of drugs destroying relationships -- "What have I become My sweetest friend Everyone I know goes away In the end" becomes something almost nostalgic, recognising the impermanence of life -- made even more poignant by the singer's obvious ill health, and the fact he died shortly after its release.

The deep tones of melancholy echo through the melody -- yes, "you can have it all,"  a whole empire of it but what is "it all" anyway in the end except dirt and pain? 

So, on that cheery note, I'll leave you with a part of my favourite verse:


"Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear
You are someone else
I am still right here"




Ka kite anō

A.J. Ponder

1 comment:

  1. Right on. Love this. Great post to come to today! Now it's in my head...

    ReplyDelete