Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Firefly



Wings melted
feathers flown
Icarus,
you promised me the sun
and then you
                  fell
burning from the sky
in flames and smoke
into a boiling sea.

Icarus,
you promised me the sun

I'd like to give it back

 
A.J. Ponder 

(After a different sort of Firefly? try here at Eulogies for Battles Lost)


 Picture: Pieter Brueghel's, Landscape with the Fall of Icarus (circa1558)

 I'm the editor of the Tuesday poem this week and so of course I'd love for you to drop by and visit the poem I've chosen, Helen Lowe's, Fey -

"your door 
stands open still
at dusk...

 it's quite delicious, especially if you like just a touch of Other in your poetry.  And of course there's the whole Tuesday poem community in the sidebar with so many other accomplished poets and writers.  Well worth checking out. Have fun people and enjoy your week.

A.J. Ponder 

 A.J. Ponder's work is available through Rona Gallery, Amazon, and good Wellington bookstores




7 comments:

  1. Love the humour in this, Alicia! Had a great giggle with my afternoon coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Elizabeth, believe it or not hearing someone had a bit of a laugh over one of my poems is one of the best comments ever. So proud :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for selecting "Fey" for the Tuesday Poem hub Alicia!

    I like the Firefly poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Helen, Fey is an exceptional poem, and I was really pleased to be able to present a poem I was excited about onto the Tuesday blog. I really like your work, and the fact that it speaks to both the mainstream and Speculative Fiction communities testifies to it's quality. Moreover I believe you've just put a book out... Never hurts to remind people of that :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the last surprising line here. Great little poem. And also lingered at the Tuesday Poem site where Helen's poem is featured this week. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michelle, thanks for dropping by, loved your piece on "the importance of being ready for nothing at all" and of course the Orcas. :)

      Delete
  4. ayo bagi yg suka maen judi ayam on line
    di bolavita tempat nya banyak sekali bonus2 menarik
    dan game2 on line terlengakap se indonesia
    dengan pelayanan 24 jam yg sangat ramah
    sabung ayam pw

    ayo segera daftar dan buktikan sendiri
    info lbh lanjut:

    WA: +62812-2222-995

    ReplyDelete