Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sex Sells


Sex sells
Lolling curvaceously over
The unnecessary
I want it
Primitive response

Higher order thinking subsumed in
How do I get it?
This thing
This curvaceous
Beauteous organ of desire
So even the smartest among us
Pull the wool out of their eyes,
Knit it into elaborate blindfolds
Embroider them in red
And smile at their cleverness

Donning the objectified
Wrapper
and
Wondering
How the world
Became so dark

A..J. Ponder - Amazon author page



We consume more than just things.  Ideas and morality (I'm not so much thinking Victorian morality as the whole blurry and not so blurry good/evil thing), politics, these are part of the constructs we create, fed, as it were, by outside influences.  Those influences are increasingly stereotyped and marketed with all the passion money can buy.

Anyway, that's enough of that.  I think I'll leave my protesting to the poetry.  Much better that way.
& for those who are interested,
John Horrocks',  "Something in the Waters"
is being launched at Rona Gallery Sunday, December 12 at 3:30pm.  I'll definitely try to make it.  Should be fun.


A..J. Ponder - Amazon author page

2 comments:

  1. Nice poem! And neatly exemplified by the teaser picture from a semi-naked model from NZ's Next Top Model on the DomPost's front page today. And, I admit it, I looked at the (non-)story inside.

    ReplyDelete